Pulpit Rock Lookout Overlooking the Grose Valley
Pulpit Rock near Blackheath in the Blue Mountains is a large cliff edge with three lookout points spread across different levels. The lookouts are connected via a path with several sets of stairs.
A dirt road and a short walking track will get you to the Pulpit Rock Lookout, offering panoramic views of the Grose Valley and surroundings.
The Pulpit Rock Lookout is located near Blackheath in the Blue Mountains. From the Great Western Highway, turn into Hat Hill Road and follow the signs to the lookout.
Keep in mind that the last stretch is a dirt road with a few challenging bumps, but it can relatively easily be conquered with a regular 2WD vehicle.
There is a small car park at the end of the road that quickly fills up on buys days. From the car park it’s an easy 15 mins walk to the lookout.
Pulpit Rock Lookout
The Pulpit Rock lookout was first opened to the public in 1935 by Ernest Buttenshaw, the Minister for Lands in the New South Wales government.
What’s great about Pulpit Rock is that it is a multi-tiered lookout with several platforms on different levels.
A walking path with stairs connects the platforms. Each platform offers a different perspective of the Grose Valley and all of them combined results in near 360-degree views of the surrounding landscape.
It’s not difficult to spend a few hours at Pulpit Rock to take in the panoramic views of the valley and mountain tops on the other side.
And without the big crowds, there is more opportunity to make some really beautiful photos, especially at sunset or sunrise.
Pulpit Rock Track
The Pulpit Rock walking track is a spectacular 3.5km bushwalk between Pulpit Rock and Govetts Leap, following the edge of the cliff around Grose Valley.
This track passes several lookout points, with each lookout offering different views of the valley and waterfalls in the area.
|Pulpit Rock Track|
|Distance:||3.5 km (one way)|
|Grade:||Moderate (some steep sections)|
Closer towards Govetts Leap, the track intersects with the Popes Glen Track, which follows the Popes Glen Creek back into Blackheath.
Govetts Leap was named after William Govett, a painter and surveyor, who was the first European settler to have visited this area.
According to the plaque at the lookout, he first discovered this beautiful spot almost two centuries ago, in June 1831.
From Govetts Leap, it’s possible to extend this bushwalk adventure by heading to the Evans Lookout via the Cliff Top walking track.
From the Great Western Highway in Blackheath, turn into Hat Hill Road and follow the signs to the lookout.
Park your car in the car park the end of the road and follow a short walking track to get to the Pulpit Rock viewing platforms.